RE: Useragent Rules in CSS

From: <Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:04:48 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

> From: Christoph Päper [mailto:christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de]
> Can anyone provide an example which this approach cannot solve?
>
> >       @supports(td:hover) {/* CSS code */}
>
> You would have to be able to nest such blocks or add support
> for at least AND
> constructs.
>
> > The core concept is that only the browser knows exactly what the
> > browser is capable of --
>
> Exactly.
> Any such mechanism should only be designed to work around non
> implemented
> parts, not wrongly implemented ones (bugs).

I could easily see browsers using this to allow users to turn support for
various CSS features on and off.  A checkbox for @supports(text-decoration:
blink) jumps out immediately.  A numeric value for @supports(font-size <
4pt) would be very helpful against that particular kind of spam that uses
1px-high text to throw off Bayesian anti-spam tools.  A designer's nightmare
- but a user's paradise.

Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com                805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com   Software Engineer
perl -e"print join er,reverse',','l hack',' P','Just anoth'"