Re: CSS3: Opacity

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:27:49 +0100
To: "Sean M. Hall" <pianoman@reno.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Saturday, March 27, 2004, 2:10:57 AM, Sean wrote:

SMH> Congratulations to Mozilla 1.7 Beta. It's the first browser
SMH> to support opacity.

Mozilla may be the first html browser to support opacity (although it
has been in much earlier versions);its certainly not the first
implementation to support opacity.

See which implementations supported it in Oct 2001 here
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/BE-ImpStatus-20011026.html
and in Aug 2003 here
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20030813/status/matrix.html

SMH> Anyway there's a new test page at my CSS3 Tests site for
SMH> Opacity: http://geocities.com/seanmhall2003/css3/opacity.html

Good to see tests being submitted.

There was nothing under the div, so its hard to tell if it really is
50% opaque. Could I suggest a background image on an enclosing,
slightly larger div? Or alternatively, an inline image of the same
color as (50% opaque white composited on the blue background color).

I would also suggest putting opacity on a child of the div
class="testop" as well, to ensure that the opacity multiplies
correctly.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group