Re: width and height

Anne van Kesteren (fora) wrote:
> Rastislav Graus wrote:
>
>> Posible, we can discuss my definition.
>> I use mostly table-based layouts, they are for applications more
>> suitable and maintainable as DIV-based layouts. For these tayout
>> tables I'll welcome a posibility to say, that one column/row fill the
>> rest of the width/height of table independently on how is the
>> witdt/height of other columns/rows specified. This column/row have not
>> to be the last one. More abstract, can be defined the proportion of
>> the rest, that the   element uses. Minimaly for tables, would be this
>> posibility very usefull.
>

> You know about CSS2 Tables [1], right?

Yes, if you mean Chapter 17. Tables in CSS 2.1 Specification.
But there are these problems not discused. Citing 17.5.3 Table height
algorithms:
"The height of a table is given by the ’height’ property for the ’table’
or ’inline-table’ element. A value of ’auto’ means that the height is
the sum of the row heights plus any cell spacing or borders. Any other
value specifies the height explicitly; the table may thus be taller or
shorter than the height of its rows. CSS 2.1 does not specify
rendering when the specified table height differs from the content
height, in particular whether content height should override specified
height; if it doesn’t, how extra space should be distributed among rows
that add up to less than the specified table height; or, if the content
height exceeds the specified table height, whether the UA should provide
a scrolling mechanism."

In my example with height "rest" is by developer explicitly desired,
that the first and third row will have height needed by their content
and the second row obtains the rest of the table height.

Other problem is that, I have header and footer with fixed heights. Then
  can be height of content-row set to 'auto' or not specified, but in
this case in the cell of this row all percetage heights are interpreted
as auto (see CSS 2.1 Spec., 10.5 Content height: the ’height’ property,
description of <percentage> value). Also this problem can be solved with
new value 'rest'.

	Rasto.