Re: thoughts on non-compliant browsers

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> The font zoom does not scale up the background-image.
>
> Yes, because it's a _font_ zoom.  It simply sets the equivalent
> of !important font-size rules in the user stylesheet, like I
> said.
>
> It seems that your only issue is that Mozilla implements a font
> zoom, not a whole-page zoom (a la Opera).  That has nothing to do
> with CSS, however.

It seems that the ONLY issue is that CSS doesn't have a method to
scale background images. This limits styles like the one the OP was
using. If one could strech the background image to always fill the
element it's background of, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I personally hate the way Opera scales the whole page. I can just
use a magnification glass just ok, thank you. On the other hand, if
  MY only problem is that the text is just too small, the it makes
sense to scale only that, doesn't it? Again, we wouldn't have the
font size issue at all, if the MSIE didn't f*ck up the whole picture
by not providing a simple way to set *default font size*. And then
some idiot decided that its factory default was "too large" and he
thought that he must compensate for it as a document author.

>> a pixel is a pixel. it does not resize unless you change your
>> resolution.
>
> I'm sorry, but that's not true in CSS.  For example, in CSS a
> pixel resizes if you change your viewing distance.  I recommend
> giving the CSS definition of pixel a read:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/syndata.html#pixel-units>.

Also, one could argue that a point (pt) is a point. Postscript
defines one point as 1/72th of an inch. If somebody requests 12pt
font for the page and the visitor is using jumbotron or front
projection screen, should the text *really* be rendered with the
size of 12/72th of an inch, or with something that has been
*scaled*? How about if the page is viewed with hypothetical laptop
with a 13" screen with the pixel count of 3000x2000 pixels. Wouldn't
a 8px font look kind a small? Because the document author cannot
know the final presentation medium, there's no point defining units
that must not be scaled under any situation.

Or we *could* give the document authors the power to force some
settings, but we've already seen that the document authors don't
understand the responsibilities that come with such a power.

--
Mikko