RE: [CSS21] Required charset support

Justin,

Strictly speaking "@charset" must be the *very* first characters in a style
sheet.  The only exception is an optional 2-byte Byte Order Mark (BOM) which
can immediately precede the "@charset" rule.

The expectation that the characters '@', 'a', 'c', 'e', 'h', 'r', 's', and
't' are decodable (whether or not the UA knows the byte order of the style
sheet) is spelled out in the last paragraph of section 4.4, "CSS style sheet
representation." [1]

My question regards whether or not a UA is required to support UTF-8 encoded
style sheets or not.  It seems a conforming UA must be capable of
interpreting a UTF-8 byte stream in order to satisfy the fifth rule in
section 4.4.

-MM

[1] http://localhost/css-test/css1test42b.xhtml

[snip]