Re: Handling unrecognized or unsupported charset

From: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:52:09 -0400
To: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Mark Moore wrote:

>I can't find anything that specifies what a UA should do when it encounters
>a style sheet with an unsupported charset, or what it should do when the
>charset identifier is malformed.
>
>My assumption is that the entire stylesheet should be ignored, but I didn't
>see it covered.

If a UA cannot parse a style-sheet due to malformed charset, or other
means available to it, what else is to be expected?, we definately
cannot say "You must parse that which you cannot parse".

I fail to see the need for clarification in this, not all UA's can do
charset-interpret on malformed ones, nor can we expect them to (imo).
If you could propose an interoperable way to do anything other than
"ignore" I would personally love to hear the suggestion for an errate
change.

~Justin Wood (non W3C WG member)