Re: [CSS21] Required charset support

Mark Moore wrote:

>In section 4.4 CSS style sheet representation, the specification states:

>This specification does not mandate which character encodings a user agent
>must support.
>
>It seems like there must be some minimal requirement.  For instance, the
>ability to specify a charset with "@charset" implies the requirements
>elaborated just before section 4.4.1.
>
>It seems support for UTF-8 is a requirement since the UA *must* assume UTF-8
>if the charset is not specified.  Shouldn't the referenced passage be
>modified to reflect the UTF-8 requirement?

I remember reading somewhere A CSS parser must be able to parse the
content in a 'normal' charset up until the first reading of a @charset
rule (or that may have been in HTML 4.01, but I thought I read it in CSS
as well).

which seems correct, you can also specify charset via http-headers,
which may have been the intent.

~Justin Wood