Re: [CSS21] response to issue 74

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:43:53 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 10 February 2004 in
"[CSS21] response to issue 74"
(<mid:16425.21857.420099.432694@lanalana.inria.fr>):

> Your e-mail:
>     [...]
>
>     Is rgb(255, 0, 50%) invalid, then?
>
> CSS WG response:
>     Yes. (Was already like that in CSS1.)

Interoperable practice at this point in time seems to be to accept the
mixed <number> and <percentage> terms. Safari 1.0, iCab 2.9.7, and
Internet Explorer Macintosh Edition 5.2 each accept the mixture.
Mozilla 1.6b rejects the mixture. I'm not a fan of such mixtures, but
CSS 2.1 is supposed to be about current interoperable practice, yes?
Additionally, a Hicksonian realism predicts that authors will make this
mistake and concludes that the intent is clear, so there is no sense in
punishing end users with a rejection of the value.

--
Etan Wexler.