'textarea' elements are non-replaced

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:42:03 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

Dec 1, 2003, at 17:04 US/Pacific, Boris Zbarsky wrote to
<mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 1 Dec 2003 in "Re: [CSS 2.1] overflow of
replaced elements" (<mid:3FCBE515.4040101@mit.edu>):

> Yes, I realize you consider all form controls to not be replaced
> elements.  Sorry, that doesn't fly.  If a <textarea> were an
> inline-block, it would display the text that lives inside it (in
> textnodes).  That's true only up until the point at which the user
> starts typing in it -- the question of whether those changes should be
> reflected in the page's DOM is a little vague, but last I checked with
> DOM WG people they said they should NOT be.

That is ridiculous. If I edit a 'p' element, its DOM representation
should change, yes? What makes 'textarea' elements different?

Boris, can you direct me to archived messages from the DOM Working
Group?

--
Etan Wexler.