Re: [CSS21] response to issue 115 (and 44)

On Feb 23, 2004, at 19:32, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> people how aren't clued about character encodings are more likely to
>> serve style sheets that work if treated as windows-1252 than to serve
>> UTF-8.
>
> Only in Western Europe.

Do you mean in other parts of the world there are people who aren't
clued about encodings and still end up serving UTF-8 more often than
people in Western Europe and the Americas end up serving windows-1252
(or ISO-8859-1 or ASCII)?

>> Also, for HTML browsers tend to default to windows-1252 regardless of
>> the
>> specs.
>
> What gave you this idea?

Numerous (all?) GUI browsers for Windows and Mac default to
windows-1252 for text/html when there is no encoding declaration.
Although the default guess is configurable, the default guess for the
default guess is windows-1252 even when it's called ISO-8859-1.

>> Using this heuristic also in case 3 instead of looking at the linking
>> document would improve the cacheability of parsed style sheets with
>> negligible actual breakage.
>
> Using this instead of looking at the linking document will break
> Japanese pages
> that use Shift_JIS and Japanese classnames and don't specify the
> encoding (lots
> and lots of those).  In fact, such pages were the reason Mozilla added
> the
> "look at the linking document" thing, if I recall correctly....

I wasn't aware there was a substantial number of Japanese authors who
actually dare to use non-ASCII identifiers without declaring their
encoding. Over here (Finland) people usually don't dare to use
non-ASCII for any markup, style sheet or programming language
identifiers even when they're supposed to be supported.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi