Re: [CSS21] response to issue 115 (and 44)

On Monday, February 23, 2004, 7:25:40 PM, Henri wrote:

HS> Although the default guess is configurable, the default guess for the
HS> default guess is windows-1252 even when it's called ISO-8859-1.

That's twisted enough that I want to add it to a quotes page.

>> Using this instead of looking at the linking document will break
>> Japanese pages
>> that use Shift_JIS and Japanese classnames and don't specify the
>> encoding (lots
>> and lots of those).  In fact, such pages were the reason Mozilla added
>> the
>> "look at the linking document" thing, if I recall correctly....

HS> I wasn't aware there was a substantial number of Japanese authors who
HS> actually dare to use non-ASCII identifiers without declaring their
HS> encoding.

Sure, because

a) there are not that many (Shift-JIS (or rather the group
of subtly different/very similar encodings called Shift-JIS), EUC-JP,
and iso-2022-jp (more for emailthan web pages).
b) Japanese uses many more characters than european, alphabetic
languages and with a very regular patterning (eg use of Kanji with
kana word ending)

so autodetection works very well,assuming the input is in fact in
japanese language. Or English. If its in French, say, then it breaks.

HS>  Over here (Finland) people usually don't dare to use
HS> non-ASCII for any markup, style sheet or programming language
HS> identifiers even when they're supposed to be supported.

;-)

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group