Re: [CSS21] response to issue 51

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:58:46 -0500
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

>     A UA should act as if the fictional start tag of the first-line
>     pseudo-element is just inside the smallest enclosing block-level
>     element.

>       <DIV>
>         <P><DIV:first-line><P:first-line>First paragraph</P:first-line></DIV:
> first-line></P>
>         <P><P:first-line>Second paragraph</P:first-line></P>
>       </DIV>
>
> That seems to define exactly what you want.

Not quite. Notice, for example, that the <P:first-line> tag is _not_ in fact
"just inside the smallest enclosing block-level element".  It's inside the
<DIV:first-line> (which _is_ just inside, etc).

So clearly the above rule doesn't apply when multiple first-line pseudo-elements
are involved.....  Why and how does it apply when first-letter is involved?
The spec doesn't say.

I understand that if you already know what the spec is trying to say then it's
not too hard to figure out what these statements and examples really mean.  But
if you _don't_ know what it's trying to say, there is enough internal
inconsistency and lack of clarity that it's hard to tell what it's really
saying.

Boris
--
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.