Re: [CSS21] response to issue 51

Boris Zbarsky writes:

> >     A UA should act as if the fictional start tag of the first-line
> >     pseudo-element is just inside the smallest enclosing block-level
> >     element.
>
> >       <DIV>
> >         <P><DIV:first-line><P:first-line>First paragraph</P:first-line></DIV:
> > first-line></P>
> >         <P><P:first-line>Second paragraph</P:first-line></P>
> >       </DIV>
> >
> > That seems to define exactly what you want.
>
> Not quite. Notice, for example, that the <P:first-line> tag is _not_ in fact
> "just inside the smallest enclosing block-level element".  It's inside the
> <DIV:first-line> (which _is_ just inside, etc).
>
> So clearly the above rule doesn't apply when multiple first-line pseudo-elements
> are involved.....  Why and how does it apply when first-letter is involved?
> The spec doesn't say.
>
> I understand that if you already know what the spec is trying to say then it's
> not too hard to figure out what these statements and examples really mean.  But
> if you _don't_ know what it's trying to say, there is enough internal
> inconsistency and lack of clarity that it's hard to tell what it's really
> saying.

Maybe the text isn't beautiful and we can see if the readability can
be improved before the spec becomes a Recommendation, but we think it
already says how multiple first-lines combine, and how first-line and
first-letter combine; how multiple first-lines and multiple
first-letters combine can be inferred. We don't want to change
anything now that isn't broken.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM