Re: Aural CSS

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Brandon L. Pisani wrote:

> I was cruising around on http://www.htmlgoodies.com looking for
> table information when I came across an article on Aural CSS.
> Back when I started the mess about scrollbars, something was
> mentioned about disabled users.  (Anyone who hasn't heard about
> ACSS, it's the implementing of a computer voice for web sites, or
> something similar, I think.)  The full article is here:
> http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/acss.html.
>
> So, my question is:  Is this something that people think is
> worthwhile, or is it something too complicated to really
> implement?
>
> I think it would be worthwhile if it were implemented, but there's
> always supply:demand stuff I don't know about.  Just curious.

You may also be interested in W3C's updated spec for this, see:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-speech
  published 14 May 2003

We are aiming to align the new spec with the W3C speech synthesis
markup language spec (SSML) which is part of the suite of specs
for use with VoiceXML 2.0, see:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/
  last updated 2 December 2002

There is lots of vendor support for SSML, so support for the new
CSS3 speech module should be easy to implement. SSML is expected
to move to Candidate Recommendation status quite soon. For more
information on W3C's speech interface framework, see:

  http://www.w3.org/Voice/

As usual public feedback is welcomed.
--
 Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>  W3C lead for voice and multimodal.