Re: CSS version selectors?

From: Dris <dris86@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:48:10 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

> Does anyone have any thoughts on CSS version selectors?
They would be nice to have for future browsers, but would be useless
for a long time.  Also, as you said, this assumes browser makers
wouldn't abuse the selector.  One flaw: the selector doesn't specify
browsers as far as *how much* of the CSS version they support.

Because of this, I think it should be brought down to selector level.
I'm not sure, but I think this capability is already in CSS.  If I
remember right, browsers are to skip selectors if they don't support
the given value, and use the next instead, as such:
ul#navigation {
	position: fixed;
	position: absolute;
}

Maybe I've got it backwards.

> html::css2 #main {
>   color: #fff;
>   background-color: #fff;
>   text-shadow: #000 0px 0px 5px;
> }
If we were to do something at version level, it might be better with
@css2, so that whole blocks of CSS rules could be put together.
________
"Irony is a voluntary survey with required fields."
	~ Dris ~