CSS version selectors?

From: James Craig <work@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:29:20 -0600
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Does anyone have any thoughts on CSS version selectors? I don't know
about this examples' syntax, but I envisioned something that would only
work if an agent supported a full specification:

html::css2 #main {
   color: #fff;
   background-color: #fff;
   text-shadow: #000 0px 0px 5px;
}

The point is that it would avoid the white-on-white text that would come
from most browsers that ignore text-shadow. I realize Safari can
currently support this, but the idea is for something like the language
attribute of a script element. Subsequent versions css2-1, css3, css4,
etc. could also be supported.

Of course, this has the option of being abused because a browser-maker
could implement the version selector without fully implementing the rest
of the specification. I'm looking for a more standard approach to
conditional CSS than comment hacks or selector differentiation. Both of
those approaches have higher possibility of failure in new browsers.

Thanks,
James Craig

--
http://www.cookiecrook.com/