Re: [CSS21] Text-decoration "inheritance"

On 1 Oct 2003 at 20:54, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Neither the behavior specified nor the common browser behavior (which
> effectively corresponds to inheritance) is generally suitable.
Could you elaborate on when the common browser behavior is not
suitable?

> For practical authoring, I have recommended the use of bottom border,
> rather than text-decoration: underline, for texts that may contain
> superscripts, subscripts, or other parts that have a baseline different
> from that of the rest.  In fact, it could be better for normal text too, by
> separating the text better from the horizontal line under it.
A bottom border is rather different though, since it is below the
descent of the text. This effect can be very useful, but i'm not sure
that the regular underline is ready to be deprecated.

While i more or less agree with your comments, i think the less
commonly used values of text-decoration are of much less importance.
I am not quite sure i would prefer if the text-decoration only
applied if there is a common baseline (why is that a requirement?),
but would restrictions such as limiting the applicability of text-
decoration to elements with certain vertical-align values help at all
in the general case? (It does make sense to have blink stop working
on elements that shifted the vertical-align... :)
 /Staffan