Re: Scope of :hover

At 17:55 -0400 5/29/03, Ernest Cline wrote:
>Is :hover supposed to apply to any element that a pointer is over,
>or is it supposed to apply only to elements that can be activated
>that the  pointer is over, or is this a decision left to user agents?

CSS doesn't define which elements may be in the above states, or how
the states are entered and left."
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#dynamic-pseudo-classes)

    So under that definition, it's up to UAs to decide which elements
can be hovered (or activated) and which can't-- they can restrict
these things to hyperlinks, or apply them to any element at all.
    However, my reading of CSS3 leaves me with the distinct impression
that the authors were trying to imply that only "interactive"
elements should get the hover/active/focus states, which would be a
change of implication from CSS2.  Perhaps some clarification on that
point would be helpful.

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric@meyerweb.com)  http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/
Author, "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide,"