Scope of :hover

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:55:32 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

Is :hover supposed to apply to any element that a pointer is over,
or is it supposed to apply only to elements that can be activated
that the  pointer is over, or is this a decision left to user agents?
I've gotten into a discussion about this and citing the relevant
section of the standards:

CSS2:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#dynamic-pseudo-classes
CSS3 Selectors:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-css3-selectors-20011113/#dynamic-pseudos

has not caused either of us to change our positions as we agree
differently. (I do so like that Yogiism.)