Re: Horizontal alignment of blocks

From: Josh Hughes <josh@deaghean.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:46:41 -0400
To: Matt <matt@hogwarts-library.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> As far as I can see, adding align: would *add* confusion because it is
> ambigious as to what is being aligned, and unnecessary because there is
> already a suitable method for aligning a block that fits in well with the
> box model etc.

I don't naturally think of margins when aligning something, and I
certainly wouldn't assume that margin: auto means setting a block's
margin to half the remaining space of the parent element. If we want to
get people to stop using depreciated HTML attributes like "align",
having *intuitive* css equivalents makes sense.

And even with margin: auto, it only works on the left and right sides.
For vertical alignment you have to emulate table behavior to reproduce
valign.

Have css "align" and "valign" properties (or some variation thereof)
and have them act exactly like the HTML counterparts. There wouldn't be
any confusion.

Josh