Re: Horizontal alignment of blocks

From: Matt <matt@hogwarts-library.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:11:30 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Arthur Wiebe wrote:
<align: property>
> After I sent the email I realized that horizontal-algin would not
> be so good because vertical-align is for inline elements and text
> and horizontal-align wouldn't be. That would confuse people even
> more.
> I think the best thing to do would be to add align with the values
> center, left, and right. I believe it's the best way and also the
> best understood by HTML/XHTML authors.

But it I write this:
  [lots of words that will force a line wrap]

Then I expect (and should) get a piece if text extending over the full width
of the screen *centre-justified* .

In CSS the way to centre that DIV is to specify a width and specify margin:
0 auto;.
There is nothing _wrong_ with this syntax, the programmers understand that
to centre a block the left/right margins must be made equal, and the "web
deyziners" use their software that does this for them.

As far as I can see, adding align: would *add* confusion because it is
ambigious as to what is being aligned, and unnecessary because there is
already a suitable method for aligning a block that fits in well with the
box model etc.

--
Matt