Re: Ideas for CSS 3.0?

From: Matt <matt@hogwarts-library.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:57:57 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Ben Godfrey" <afternoon@uk2.net>

Ben Godfrey wrote:
>> I agree, this is something we should add to CSS, because it is
>> presentational.  Here are some suggested requirements:
>
> Is it? What about alt or title values? The only presentational part
> is connecting the content (the links) with the images.

Even this isn't just presentational. Think of a true image map (a map of
countries) - it's not just a presentational feature that means clicking on
Sweden takes you to the swedish page, that's structural.

> Apart from
> that it's content because it's not something that can be dropped if
> the CSS is missing.

If done properly then with missing CSS there could just be a list of links
remaining. So long as the image is loaded from the CSS and all implications
that there is an image to click on are not in the HTML.

> Coming up with some way to use CSS as the connection might be valid,
> but I think it will be hard to make the syntax simpler than HTML.

Me too. The syntax isn't that bad in HTML really anyway.

Matt