Re: Ideas for CSS 3.0?

On 6/4/03 11:12 AM, "Ben Godfrey" <afternoon@uk2.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, Jun 4, 2003, at 19:02 Europe/London, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> I agree, this is something we should add to CSS, because it is
>> presentational.
>
> Is it?

Certainly _where_ something should be and what _size_ it should be is
presentational.  Image maps are essentially that with the added ability of
being able to specify a _where_ which is not necessarily rectangular.  Thus
it is absolutely presentational.

> What about alt or title values?

What about them?  They are independent of image maps.  They are attributes
that can contain content.

> The only presentational part is
> connecting the content (the links) with the images.

Even I'm not at the point of declaring all linking to be presentational!
But certainly a large portion of linking is presentational.

> Apart from that it's
> content because it's not something that can be dropped if the CSS is
> missing.

Sure it can.  An image map is essentially a list of hyperlinks.  The
presentation of it as a bunch of clickable areas is exactly that purely
_presentational_.

Consider, how would you present an image map on a voice browser or a PDA
that doesn't have the resolution to display the image?  You would want to
use a different presentation - thus it belongs in a media specific style
sheet, not in the markup.

> Coming up with some way to use CSS as the connection might be valid, but I
> think it will be hard to make the syntax simpler than HTML.

Agreed, it will be hard to make the syntax simpler than HTML, but I think it
is possible.  Certainly I would object to a syntax more complex than HTML
(which is unfortunately what seems to happen all too often in W3C
technologies that started as useful features of HTML).

Tantek