Re: Apple releases its own Web browser - Safari, based on KHTML

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:47:50 -0800
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: James Craig <james@cookiecrook.com>

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:18 PM, James Craig wrote:

> On 1/8/03 3:04 PM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>> As Konqueror, KDE's [http://www.kde.org] native Web Browser, is
>>> quite good in
>>> CSS 2.x support (and XHTML/XML)
>>
>> Safari has no XHTML/XML support yet, since they have not ported the
>> XML
>> parser.  There is no eta for when it will happen.
>>
>> And frankly, almost all browsers available on the mac at this point
>> (IE/Mac,
>> Opera, Gecko, Safari) have comparable support for the things you list
>> and all
>> are a good bit ahead of IE/Windows... I doubt web designers who did
>> not care
>> to support IE/Mac will care to support Safari.
>>

> The CSS box model and 'fixed' positioning in Safari both seem faulty
> as well
> as form support in XHTML. It's probably snagging on the closing slash
> in the
> <input /> tags. For now, I'd rather stick with Mozilla or IE5 on Mac.
> Chimera is another cool Cocoa browser, but it's <1.0 and buggy as well.

Safari does not yet support XHTML/XML (anything sent as an XML MIME
type).  It will work more or less with "tag soup" XHTML 1.0 sent as
text/html (like wired.com).  We are currently working on an
implementation of the QT components necessary to do XML parsing, but it
wasn't ready in time for beta.

Dave Hyatt
(hyatt@apple.com)