Re: Apple releases its own Web browser - Safari, based on KHTML

From: James Craig <james@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:18:19 -0600
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On 1/8/03 3:04 PM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> As Konqueror, KDE's [http://www.kde.org] native Web Browser, is quite good in
>> CSS 2.x support (and XHTML/XML)
>
> Safari has no XHTML/XML support yet, since they have not ported the XML
> parser.  There is no eta for when it will happen.
>
> And frankly, almost all browsers available on the mac at this point (IE/Mac,
> Opera, Gecko, Safari) have comparable support for the things you list and all
> are a good bit ahead of IE/Windows... I doubt web designers who did not care
> to support IE/Mac will care to support Safari.

The CSS box model and 'fixed' positioning in Safari both seem faulty as well
as form support in XHTML. It's probably snagging on the closing slash in the
<input /> tags. For now, I'd rather stick with Mozilla or IE5 on Mac.
Chimera is another cool Cocoa browser, but it's <1.0 and buggy as well.

When is MacIE6 coming out? Anybody know?

James Craig