Re: Core syntax error handling

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 05:28:27 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> I have repeatedly lobbied for a third alternative which I recall David Baron
> proposing originally. This alternative would tokenize the maximum initial
> tokenizable sequence of characters and would parse the maximum initial
> sequence of tokens matching the current 'stylesheet' production (or
> equivalent).

That would be much easier than implementations having to have forwards
compatible error handling at both token and grammar level!

It's guaranteed that if implementations have to tokenize *anything* as
valid, they will each do so in different ways, as the examples of grammar
error handling show.

Michael