Re: Core syntax error handling

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:49:26 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>

Ian Hickson wrote to <www-style@w3.org> on 27 February 2003 in "Re: Core
syntax error handling"
(<mid:Pine.LNX.4.50.0302270541280.14072-100000@dhalsim.dreamhost.com>):

> The new syntax would simply be increasing the range of files that can be
> considered valid CSS, so I do not see a problem here.

Calling random or malformed junk CSS is a problem. Perpetuating this junk by
requiring user agents to accept it is a problem.

> I do _not_ want to see a repeat of the HTML Tag
> Soup nightmare repeated with CSS, and I don't want
> to go down the route of XML (parse or die).

I have repeatedly lobbied for a third alternative which I recall David Baron
proposing originally. This alternative would tokenize the maximum initial
tokenizable sequence of characters and would parse the maximum initial
sequence of tokens matching the current 'stylesheet' production (or
equivalent).

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>.
Help! Exile is stuck to the dancefloor!