Re: CSS1 is obsolete

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:49:26 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Chris Lilley wrote to <www-styl@w3.org> on 2003-02-27 09:36 in "Re: CSS1 is
obsolete" (<mid:71233171.20030227183632@w3.org>):

> IH> Is HTML 3.2 "deprecated, [obsolete], or historical"?
> No, but it should be and I would like to see [it] demoted from a
> Recommendation.

A quick read of the W3C Process document reveals that this cannot be done as
such [REC]:

    In this version of the Process Document, there are no
    maturity level changes after Recommendation; a technical
    report remains a Recommendation indefinitely.

> IH> Maybe the
> IH> W3C should follow the IETF lead in marking old specifications as
> IH> HISTORICAL or OBSOLETED, but that is not up to the CSSWG as far as
> IH> I know.
> Actually it is, in the same sense that making things be Recs is the
> responsibility of the WG - to inform the director and present
> evidence.

The Process document is not as clear about this as it could be. I gather
that the only way to deprecate or retire a Recommendation is to issue
another Recommendation to that effect [REC]:

    The status section of any Recommendation must indicate
    its relationship to previous related Recommendations
    (e.g., an indication that a Recommendation supersedes,
    obsoletes, or subsumes another, etc.).

The Working Group could use CSS3 modules to retire levels 1 and 2 or could
issue dedicated retirement Reccomendations. The process for producing such
retirement Recommendations is as for any other Recommendation [TR], so I
believe and support Chris when he writes that the deprecation is the
responsibility of the Working Group.

World Wide Web Consortium.
"Recommendation (REC)" (section 5.2.5) in "World Wide Web Consortium Process
19 July 2001.

World Wide Web Consortium.
"Technical Reports" (section 5) in "World Wide Web Consortium Process
19 July 2001.