Re: CSS3 module: Color

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:49:24 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, www-style@w3.org

Chris Lilley wrote to <www-style@w3.org> on 27 February 2003 in "Re: CSS3
module: Color" (<mid:3569357859.20030227115950@w3.org >):

> JS> If R, G and B can have values from 0.0% to 100.0% percent, then why is A,
> JS> alpha, so limited within the bounds of 0.0 to 1.0, equivanlent to 0% to
> 100%
> JS> in 10% steps.
>
> The precision is not limited to 10% steps. It can be any value, for
> example 0.123456

This is not the first time that this type of confusion has set upon a reader
of CSS specifications. We should regard the misinterpretation as a likely
product of the current wording. Additional, more varied examples can only
help. Prose specifically countering notions of constraints on value steps
would be great, too.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>