Re: Length unit relative to media width

From: GS <junkmail.gs@c2i.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:32:07 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
On 20. februar 2003 11:56 Christian Roth  wrote:

>Isn't this equivalent to stating the ppi value of the output device?
>Currently, the CSS recommendation is 90ppi for CSS2 and corrected to
>96ppi in CSS2.1 if I am right. It seems also to me that it's the UA's
>responsibility to scale values given in px unit according to the assumed
>absolute size of 1px.
>This means that if you have designed your document with the assumption of
>1px=1/96in, it will look exactly the same in absolute size on every monitor.

And that is not what I am intendig.
I wants the ability to let the screen show
the same content independent of screeen resolution.
I want bigger letters on a big monitor,
not small letters on a high res monitor.
In other words, I want the ability to show
a document with the same "Image",
only bigger on a big monitor, independent of resolution.

>This also enables to scale the view (by artificially setting a different
>base ppi value by/within the UA) and adapt to real available ppi on the
>respective monitor (retrieved possibly using DDC or some other monitor
>profile). This also enables a UA to display a document window spanning
>over two monitors and displaying it at the same absolute size (i.e. in sync).

>So, it seems to me that there is no action to be taken regarding on CSS' side?

Contrary, some of these actions on the user-agent
might be unnecessary if the document itself tells
how it should be displayed.

Gaute Sandvik