Re: CSS3: Color

On 2/18/03 2:45 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai@escape.com> wrote:

> --- Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> I was accurate.
>
> *sigh* Since you insist. *refuses to argue this point further*

Not sure what this point was at this point.

>> f> Do what, color links the same color as the user specifies in the
>> prefs?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> That's it? This is what you're adding color names for? Why, that's easy to do
> even now. Just don't override the user's link colors.
>
>> The "if possible" meaning 'in the absence of an elegant and well
>> articulated alternative that is likely to be implemented'

Pardon the interruption, but it seems like fantasai and Chris Lilley are
talking about two different things.

I *thought* Chris was talking about the _CSS2_system_colors_, for which
there is no functionally equivalent alternative.  They're far from perfect,
but they still have some utility, have been interoperably implemented by two
or more user agents, and have been referenced/used by the SVG
specifications.

It's clear that fantasai is talking about the _CSS3_hyperlink_colors_, which
*do* have a functionally equivalent alternative as fantasai pointed out
(don't override the user's link colors).  They have not been implemented
(AFAIK), and have not been referenced/used by any other specifications.

I am still *for* dropping the CSS3 hyperlink colors.

It appears that fantasai is also for dropping them.

Does anyone else have an opinion either way?

Do the original requestors of this functionality still care about it, or was
my suggested implementation workaround accepted as an alterative?

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Sep/0061.html

You've got (just under) 10 days to speak up.  If no one objects I am leaning
towards dropping the CSS3 hyperlink colors.

Tantek