Re: A possible presentational hints proposal for CSS 2.1

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 10:11:30 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 21:12:47 +0000 (GMT), Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, fantasai wrote:
>> The formatting for both parts should be identical.
>
> Says who? Certainly not any implementations.

This generic * user style without !important should not overrule any author
styles, IIANM.

> As Tantek reminded me recently, CSS2.1 is supposed to document current
> practice as much as clarify CSS2 and include its errata.

That's a different goal, also worthy. It might conflict with your stated
goal of discouraging the use of presentational attributes.

For the record, in Mozilla 1, IE6 and Opera 6 (all on Windows):

* <center> and <div align=center> are both overruled by {text-align:left}
in all three browsers
* <i> is overruled by {font-style:normal} in all three browsers, 'font-
style: italic' isn't
* <font color=blue> is only overruled by {color:black} in Opera, not in
Mozilla and IE6

I'm not smart enough to describe this in a general rule :)

--
If you don't like having choices    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
made for you, you should start      making your own. -  Neal Stephenson