Re: Hanging indent

Jonas Sicking wrote:

> So to put it shortly, with a "hanging indent" property i could get a
> different fallback mechanism for non-supporting browsers [than]
> padding+"text-indent" allows.

You could get the desired fallback mechanism without a new property if we extend the
allowed values of the 'text-indent' property.  An optional trailing keyword 'hanging' in the
'text-indent' value would specify that the indent applies not to the first line but to every
line except the first.  In this scenario, accomodating downlevel user agents is easy.

I could simply give the ideal declaration, letting downlevel user agents ignore the
declaration and have no indent; for example:

    text-indent: 1.5em hanging

I could specify an alternate presentation for downlevel user agents as well, a
presentation that is less than ideal but which achieves a hanging indent; for example:

    text-indent: -1.5em;
    text-indent: 1.5em hanging

--
Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>