Re: Hanging indent

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:42:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: sicking@bigfoot.com, <fantasai@escape.com>, <ewexler@stickdog.com>, <james@cookiecrook.com>
Cc: bert@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

I react with alarm at everyone's suggestion that hanging indents can
simply be kluged into place.

(1) *I* can't figure them out.

(2) Even copying the CSS from the only site I know that does them
well, <http://www.boredinsomniac.com/hmltcmplx/>, I flub them.

(3) CSS has to do at least as much as WordPerfect 3.0 could do in
1982.

(4) I really, really resent it when computer geeks with little
typographic sophistication essentially tell those of us who *do*
have typographic sophistication to either get lost or program for a
week and a half to get an effect that should be built into the
browser. I am not accusing any of you of being in that category, but
the feel I get is the same. I am sure it is unintentional, but it is
also unbecoming. It's like Microsoft's refusal for an entire
*decade* to add a wordcount feature to MS Word because its in-house
geeks *loved* the character-count feature.

So yes, we need a primitive for hanging indents.

--
        Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
        Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques: