Re: Hanging indent

From: Jonas Sicking <sicking@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 17:02:12 +0200
To: "Etan Wexler" <ewexler@stickdog.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
Etan Wexler wrote:
> Fantasai wrote of the latest draft of the Text module
> (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-text-20020515>):
>
> > Still no hanging indent?
>
> I can achieve a hanging indent with a negative value for the 'text-indent'
> property.  If I need to accommodate the jutting text (an exodent, to coin
> term), I can widen the padding.  Am I missing something?

I tried to use this approce once but had to give it up since not all
browsers support "text-indent". So what I would have ended up with would
have been all lines indented instead of all but the first. With a "hanging
indent" property I could have ended up with no lines indented, which was how
i would have wanted to degrade for older browsers.

So to put it shortly, with a "hanging indent" property i could get a
different fallback mechanism for non-supporting browsers then
padding+"text-indent" allows.

/ Jonas Sicking