Re: CSS in XML format ?

On Thursday 11 July 2002 15:53, Patrick Andries wrote:
> De: "Rowland Shaw" <Rowland.Shaw@crystaldecisions.com>
> > SAC is just a library (or API) as I understand it, so it's on a par with
> > all
> > the XML parsers out there; so SAC is not an application purely for
> > generating XML, but instead a library for interpreting CSS -- which
> > undermines your argument;
> > SAC being created for interpreting CSS, not for porting it to XML.
>
> No people want to parse CSS and then write a tool; were CSS expressed in
> XML no such new tool(s) would be necessary in most cases (XSLT would do the
> job). Also CSS being embedded in XHTML, people wanting to transform this
> XHTML will most probably use the W3C standard called XSLT.

I find that you are assuming a hell of a lot about why people would want to
use SAC. SAC was most certainly *not* created with the goal of XML in mind.
You claim that in most cases XSLT would do the job. Come on, that's absurd.
XSLT transforms from XML to XML, and last time I checked that wasn't what
programs do "in most cases". SAC's goal, like SAX's, is simply to provide
people with a simple, standard interface to CSS parsers. In no way does it
prescribe its own usage, or was it created with a specific goal in mind.

[last post to thread.]

--
Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com> -- for hire: http://robin.berjon.com/