Re: pause-before property for presentations

On Thursday, July 11, 2002, 3:18:49 PM, Val wrote:

VS> Ian Hickson, on 7/11/02 1:28 AM, wrote:
VS>  > Unfortunately, a common effect wanted by authors of slides is an
VS>  > animation. A simple property couldn't really provide for the wealth
VS>  > of animation effects used by authors.

VS> Has author scripting gone out of fashion - because surely it could be
VS> used to achieve the effect without too much difficulty?

VS> Or is it the aim of CSS to take over basic dynamic effects on the
VS> grounds that these are presentational?

VS> OK, I know a lot of users have scripting turned off in their browsers
VS> because of security fears, or because they're simply trying to avoid
VS> tiresome animations, but I assume Dave was looking for something to
VS> use for internal presentations.

And these effects can be done already, without scripting, in already
deployed viewers so re-inventing parts of SMIL in CSS seems like a
waste of effort, really.

Although of course, declarative animation can be mixed with scripting
too and it all works together.