Re: CSS in XML format ?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:34:25 -0400
To: "Patrick Andries" <pandries@iti.qc.ca>
cc: www-style@w3.org

> I think this thread has been long enough, you like CSS as it is : terse. Too
> bad if it can't be automatically processed by the same standard used to
> transfom XML (and XHTML) documents.

It's a matter of what the goal is.  If the goal is to have a syntax that
can be easily processed via XSLT, then the syntax needs changing. If the
goal is to have a syntax that is human-readable and
human-understandable, then the syntax should stay as-is.

IMO, the situation is comparable the that of (La)TeX and MathML, where
there there are two formats -- one that is usable by humans and one that
is meant to be machine-generated.  In a similar vein, we have CSS and
XSL-FO.  Introducing yet a third way to style documents seems
unnecessary.

Boris
--
Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and
persuade themselves that they have a better idea.