Re: conformance (was layout solutions blah blah blah)

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: conformance (was layout solutions blah blah blah)
Date: Fri, Jan 25, 2002, 8:58 AM

> If that's how you feel about it, perhaps you should refer to my message of
> December 19 which I sent to this list and to you personally -- which,
> interestingly enough, you made no response to -- that contains a URL to a
> valid example that, thanks to the log entry included in the message,
> _clearly_ demonstrates the statement:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Dec/0025.html

Much better.  Quoting from that message (which must have gotten lost amongst
a deluge of spam):

> Did you fix the bug with @import statements including a url construct
> containing a single quoted (maybe double quoted as well for all I know)
> string?
>
> e.g.
>
> @import url( './modules/CSS/web.css' );
>
> (if the next part breaks, it is a single line from an Apache access log)
>
> XX.XXX.XXX.XX - - [07/Nov/2001:07:14:10 -0800] "GET /resume/val/'.
> /modules/CSS/web.css' HTTP/1.1" 404 240 "http://www.jmmcc.
> com/resume/val/resume.php?version=web" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0;
> Mac_PowerPC)" PID4391
>

> Or see for yourself -- http://www.jmmcc.com/resume/
>
> --> Jesse

Now how sad is that?

No, it does not appear to have been fixed in IE5.1/Mac.

But this was simply a one line change to fix - something that would have
been trivial to fix had we known sooner - and something which is now fixed
in internal builds.

In addition, the example you gave does work in IE6/Windows.

Thanks again for the example Jesse and please keep them coming.

I'll use this discussion as a opportunity to plug the recently published
Selectors Test Suite and the updated CSS1 Test Suite, both of which can be
accessed from the CSS Test Suite home page[1].

I implore folks on this list to please review these tests (in particular
Selectors), and let the list know if you find anything missing from them
which is present in the specification.

If an example like Jesse's had been present in the original CSS1 Test Suite
then IE5/Mac (as well as other implementations) would have better conformed
with the feature set of CSS1.

Making sure that a test suite properly provides coverage for the features of
its respective spec is critical in helping to ensure better conformance (and
interoperability) among implementations.

Thanks,

Tantek

[1]
 http://w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/