Re: Browser support for downloadable fonts in CSS

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:34:56 -0800
To: "Tantek Celik" <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Chris and Tantek --

Thanks, this was all useful information. It's good knowing to what degree
various parts of the specification are supported, as well as knowing what
other technologies are out there. I have done my own research and found
about the same facts as reported here -- but unfortunately there does not
seem to be a central summary anywhere that is newer than 1999/2000 or so,
which means it's not simply a case of looking things up. :)

The original question was vague and only semi-deliberately so; my intent
was to gather information not only on whether or not someone could trust
browsers to implement WebFonts as per CSS2 (my guess, and the answer, was
"likely not") but also to what degree things were partially supported,
and if there were any other alternatives available.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com