Re: Browser support for downloadable fonts in CSS

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Browser support for downloadable fonts in CSS
Date: Wed, Feb 6, 2002, 11:38 AM

> On Friday, February 01, 2002, 12:43:16 AM, Kynn wrote:
>
> KB> Anyone got a good reference on which browsers support downloadable
> KB> fonts as per the CSS level 2 specification?
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I take this to mean "per the CSS level 2 specification", not, "per
portions/fractions of the CSS level 2 specification".

> The term for such support is WebFonts. The following I am aware of,
> additions welcomed:

> <lengthy list of (partial) implementations>

What is not known is whether any of these implementations actually support
WebFonts per the entire WebFonts specification in CSS2.  Indeed, it is also
not known if any of these implementations are actually interoperable.

Perhaps if there was a WebFonts test suite we could check some of these
claims of implementation to see how much is actually implemented (hopefully
interoperably at that), and how much is only theory in a specification.

Tantek