Re: Browser support for downloadable fonts in CSS

On Friday, February 01, 2002, 12:43:16 AM, Kynn wrote:

KB> Anyone got a good reference on which browsers support downloadable
KB> fonts as per the CSS level 2 specification?

The term for such support is WebFonts. The following I am aware of,
additions welcomed:

Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, version 4+
  - formats supported: weft (.eot)

Microsoft Internet Explorer for mac, version 5+ (I believe - please confirm)
  - formats supported: weft (.eot)

Adobe SVG Viewer, version 2
  - formats supported: cef (.cef)

Adobe SVG Viewer, version 3+
  - formats supported: svg (.svg, .svgz), cef (.cef)

CSIRO SVG Java toolkit, versions in the last 18 months
  - formats supported: svg (.svg, .svgz)

Batik SVG toolkit
  - formats supported: svg (.svg, .svgz)

XSmiles multi-namespace SVG browser
  - formats supported: svg (.svg, .svgz)

At one point, Netscape looked like they might support WebFonts;
versions 4.x supported downloadable fonts (in Bitstream .pfr format)
but this was done using a link element in HTML, not using CSS2
WebFonts; in later versions (6.x) and in Mozilla, this existing
support was dropped and never developed into true WebFont support.

In terms of authoring tools, Microsoft have the weft tool which is a
free download (windows only).

Steady State had a java tool that made SVG fonts, this was then
donated to Apache and is part of Batik.

Corel Draw 10 exports SVG fonts, unfortunately to an older version of
the SVG spec not the Rec version. I expect they will update this to
the Rec version in a later release.

Adone Illustrator 9 (with SVG export plugin) or 10 export CEF fonts.
AI 10 might export SVG fonts too, i don't know as i have not tried
this tool yet.

There was a tool that made .pfr fonts, I forget the name now since it
was so long ago; it was on the Mac platform and was a commercial tool.