RE: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:27:33 +0000 (GMT)
To: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Cc: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> Where has XHTML 1.0 received huge traction?

(and Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com> asked a similar question.)

It's achieved huge traction in the number of pages on the web which
are now XHTML1 rather than HTML4 or tag soup. Many new pages that use
XHTML1 (sent as text/html, of course, so none of the advantages of
using XHTML1 are being realised, since browsers handle text/html as
tag soup). For example:

   http://www.msn.com/
   http://www.ibm.com/
   http://www.wellsfargo.com/
   http://www.ctv.ca/
   http://www.sex.com/
   http://www.dvdtalk.com/
   http://www.findwho.com/
   http://www.gnome.org/
   http://www.kde.org/
   http://www.kulturaxe.net/
   http://www.musictheory.net/
   http://mpt.phrasewise.com/
   http://www.w3.org/
   http://www.webstandards.org/
   http://www.xiven.com/
   http://www.xmlns.com/
   http://www.bigfoot.com/~alexeyc/
   http://www.chinaweblog.com/

Authors are increasingly using XHTML1 rather than HTML4 for new pages.
This is a trend I've noticed (as part of doing QA for Mozilla, I often
have to look at the source of recently authored web pages).