Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 07:53:43 -0400
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

At 8:13 PM +0000 8/17/02, Ian Hickson wrote:

>Actually, much to my dismay (although that's another story) XHTML1 has
>achieved huge traction.

You have a very different definition of huge traction than I do.
Outside the W3C web site I encounter almost no pages written invalid
XHTML. Even more importantly I repeatedly notice that even the most
recent browsers fail to handle basic XML techniques like CDATA
sections and non-predefined entity and character references.

>>  If you want semantically tagged information, jump to pure XML
>
>XHTML1 _is_ pure XML.

By pure XML, I meant "make up your own vocabulary as you go" rather
than using something that's been defined for you.