Re: Frame-based layout via Style Sheets

From: <jsiburt@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:58:46 -0400
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
It's a good question. The answer will vary depending on whom you ask.
My answer is that the main implementors of CSS at the time (Microsoft
and Netscape) both wanted a positioning scheme which also worked with
JavaScript to create animations. The result was:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-positioning-970131

Is "fixed" then no longer an accepted option for positioning? I have
simulated a "framed" layout by positioning the side navigation bar and a
top header using fixed positioning and a higher value for z-index. This
allowed the rest of the document to scroll under these elements. The
problem is that with these elements fixed the :hover, title, and mouse
pointers no longer work for the any links in the fixed elements in IE.

Jim Siburt
jsiburt@logicaldreams.org
"Logical Dreams"
Web Styling & Visual Design