Re: Frame-based layout via Style Sheets

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:47:13 +0200
To: jsiburt@mac.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach jsiburt@mac.com:

 >    http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-positioning-970131
 >
 > Is "fixed" then no longer an accepted option for positioning? I have
 > simulated a "framed" layout by positioning the side navigation bar and a
 > top header using fixed positioning and a higher value for z-index. This
 > allowed the rest of the document to scroll under these elements. The
 > problem is that with these elements fixed the :hover, title, and mouse
 > pointers no longer work for the any links in the fixed elements in IE.

"Fixed" was added to positioning to rescue parts of the WD-layout
mindset. It is a proper part of CSS2 and I believe Mozilla, Opera,
and IE for Mac support it.

The URL above points to an old working draft and should only be
consulted by historians. CSS positioning is defined by:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#positioning-scheme

Cheers,

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª