Re: Frame-based layout via Style Sheets

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:05:25 +0200
To: Eric Costello <eric@schwa.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Eric Costello:

 > Can anybody point me to some information on this working draft:
 >
 > http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-layout.html
 >
 > I assume it never made it past the working draft stage, and I'm
 > interested in why.

It's a good question. The answer will vary depending on whom you ask.
My answer is that the main implementors of CSS at the time (Microsoft
and Netscape) both wanted a positioning scheme which also worked with
JavaScript to create animations. The result was:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-positioning-970131

which was later incorporated into CSS2. HTML + JavaScript + CSS
Positioning was subsequently marketed as "Dynamic HTML" by the two.

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª