Re: Scrollbar CSS representation [Re: Proposal]

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:51:16 +0000
To: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Monday 24 September 2001 21:27, Etan Wexler wrote:
|   Vladimir Plessky wrote:
   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
My name is Vadim.

|   > On Saturday 22 September 2001 15:42, Rock Lyrics Page wrote:
|   > |   I would like to propose that in CSS 3 you make the Colored
|   > I guess scrollbar should be handled in the same way as current CSS
|   box.
|   > model, with some exceptions and, may be, additions :
|
|   The scrollbar should always and ever be a product of the user agent.
|   Both the original suggestion (the painfully ignorant "Internet
|   Explorer accepts it so why not make it legal.") and the ostensible
|   improvement are needless and baseless.

What's wrong when "scrollbar is handled in the same way as current CSS
box"?
* By default, you get your default UserAgent scrollbar (standard Windows MS
IE scrollbar, or Netscape's one, etc.)
* If you want to theme scrollbar, you apply some CSS definitions to it.
* If you don't like some scrollbars on somebody else's page - you can
overwrite them with ! important definition in your custom (or default)
stylesheet.

After all, you can have "custom stylesheet per host/domain name",  like
Konqueror, for example, manages JavaScript and Java.
 But I think one custom stylesheet can serve your needs.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)