Typographical psuedo selectors

From: John Anthony Lewis <gleemax@myrealbox.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:43:47 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
This is sort of a question and sort of a suggestion,

In printing, I believe it's common that, e.g., a
comma is italicized if the word before the comma is
italicized. Now, let's say I'm marking up a document
in XML, and I have a 'movie' element for marking
movies. I don't want to have '<movie>American
Beauty,</movie>' because the comma isn't part of the
movie's title. However, assuming I have a style
sheet that renders all movies in italic type, what
can I do to italicize the comma without introducing
extraneous markup?

I might just be nitpicking, but I think, if there's
not a way to currently do something like this, there
should be some thought about addressing the issue.

Set me straight here, please, and do be gentle.

John Anthony Lewis