Re: Typographical psuedo selectors

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1value.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:54:05 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Ian Hickson <ianh@hixie.ch> suggested:

> 4) Do nothing, and promote logical English. :-)

My preferred option too! I find 'comma inside quotation' and 'italicised
comma' not only confusingly ambiguous but also really quite ugly.

The alt.english.usage FAQ credits this typographical convention to
mechanical concerns with older metal type, with the implication that it
best be discarded in this day and age. I'm not certain of the truth of
this but I would certainly like to see the back of ',"'!

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant